- The Center for Pet Safety is an independent safety science entity leading a unique mission for companion animals and their owners.
- Our organization was developed after 8 years of pet product industry and consumer research.
- We conduct rigorous crash testing on commonly available pet safety products using realistic, specially designed, crash test dogs.
- Although CPS does not directly impact legislation, our organization advocates for meaningful standards leading to safer products that protect animals and improve travel safety for everyone in the vehicle.
- We do not use live animals in our crash testing.
- We are not affiliated with the pet product industry.
- We do not endorse products.
- If a pet travel product fails in an automobile accident, not only can the pet be injured or killed, but the human passengers are also be at risk for injury or death.
- In the US there are no performance standards or test protocols for many classes of pet product.
- Manufacturers are not required to test products before going to market for many classes of pet product – including pet travel products!
- There is no oversight agent for the pet product industry outside of the FDA and USDA for consumable products (food and treats) and pharmaceuticals.
- Some manufacturers claim to test their products, but with the absence of test standards, these claims cannot be substantiated.
- The Center for Pet Safety is actively researching pet travel product performance including harnesses, crates, carriers, barriers and miscellaneous travel products.
- We are actively working on standards and test protocol development for this class of pet product.
- We plan to study other product categories in the future and provide continuing oversight of the pet product industry.
Lindsey A. Wolko, Founder/CEO/Chairman. A long-term pet safety advocate, Ms. Wolko led the pet safety mission at Canine Commuter from 2004 – 2011. During that time she also acted as a consultant for numerous pet product manufacturers on product design, quality, performance, consumer communications and marketing efforts. In 2011, in response to scientific product testing results, she closed Canine Commuter and launched the Center for Pet Safety. Ms. Wolko is an associate member of the Society of Automotive Engineers and holds a bachelors degree from George Mason University. She currently leads the product research division of CPS.
Robert Spector, Board of Directors. Mr. Spector, a Director with Fannie Mae, brings his management expertise to help guide the business and marketing efforts at CPS. Mr. Spector holds a bachelors degree from California State University, Northridge.
Jane Worth Luxenberg, Board of Directors. A former SBDC Director and Business Counselor, Ms. Luxenberg helps to manage the day to day business of CPS. Ms. Luxenberg holds a Masters Degree in Business Administration from Cleveland State University.
Paul Grzemski, Board of Directors. A longtime employee of Navistar, Mr. Grzemski assists with the oversight of the CPS financials. Mr. Grzemski is a Certified Public Accountant and holds a Masters Degree in Accounting from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Leslie Wolko, Creative Director. A founding member of the Center for Pet Safety, Ms. Wolko lends her creative expertise to the CPS mission. Ms. Wolko is Principal of Wolko Design Group, Inc., a creative consulting firm located in Elgin, Illinois and holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts, Graphic Communications from University of Houston.
Grace Platon, PR/Marketing. Ms. Platon provides her expertise in Public Relations and Communications to further the CPS mission. Ms Platon is the President of Communicate Grace, a strategic consulting firm located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and holds a Bachelor of Science, Mass Communication – Broadcast Journalism from Emerson College.
CPS also engages professional consultants supporting engineering, survivability, and veterinary on an as-needed basis.
The Center for Pet Safety wishes to acknowledge our wonderful team of volunteers – your dedication to our mission is inspiring. Thank you!